Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Harassment of Aid Workers Continues...

Stories like this continue to amaze me...probably because I don't have a bone in my body to hurt one human that's helping another.

Four French aid workers were kidnapped, alone with the two pilots of their plane. This amidst the fact that Somalia has not had a functioning government in over 15 years.

A cease-fire agreement begins today between Islamic fighters and the current Somalian leaders, now it's a matter of whether it will hold.

Check it out, what do you think?

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa/11/05/somalia.aid.workers/index.html

4 comments:

kshotsberger said...

I agree with Cara, this is just scary. I just applied for the Peace Corps, and the fact that I could possibly go to Africa where volunteers are being kidnapped frightens me. I really need to think long and hard if I get an offer to go to Africa.

Alissa Carter said...

I think this is a shame, because it hinders the ability of aide workers to bring help to those in need. Just like you said that you'll have to think long and hard about an offer to go to Africa, many others could have the same opinion. These people need help, but is it worth the risk of being kidnapped or killed?

Aurora said...

This is absolutely terrible. Here are aid workers trying to help out those in need, and they are treated as though they were hurting them. I was considering applying for the Peace Corps until I read about safety on their site. Knowing that crimes like these happen to good somaritans definitely stops me from making any plans to help out...do I really want to be killed? Not too sure about that one.

Linda Hong said...

I'm concerned for my friends who have applied for the Peace corps. This article has opened my eyes and I have forwarded an email to all those who have considered going to Africa for the Peace Corps...! It's scary.